Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'm back!

Wow...where did the time go?? Sorry, I've been a little bit swamped over the last several weeks! Work has been nuts, then my mom visited for about five days at the end of last month, and...whew...life just has a way of happening...

I'm in Charleston, SC as I write this. I'm here for some training in the software that we use for our donor database at work. I drove down today and will be returning Friday evening. Definitely a short visit.

I've been able to talk to Rob on the phone a couple times this week. It was fabulous to hear his voice again. He also sent a picture of his current 'look.' He hasn't shaved in a couple weeks and...well...let's just say it's not pretty! The things they do to keep themselves entertained while underway!


I haven't posted anything since they stopped in Bahrain a couple weeks ago. It was good for him to have a chance to get off the ship, but since the visit was during Ramadan they were somewhat limited in what they could do and where they could go. During Ramadan, you can be fined if you're seen eating, drinking, smoking, or even chewing gum during the day. The fine is about $130. Rob said they were warned that the majority of the populace is pretty cranky by about 4:00 each day during Ramadan because they haven't had anything to eat or drink all day! Also, many of the stores are closed during Ramadan, so it made for a somewhat disappointing port visit.

In other news, we also learned recently where Rob will be going for his next tour. He'll be on the newest of the nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, the George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). It's still in the shipyard, as a matter of fact. It should be commissioned in late 2008/early 2009. Rob will transfer to it in the spring of next year...probably April. It's in Virginia, so we won't have to move this time. I don't know if we can handle staying in one spot for so long! :-)

No comments: