Saturday, October 27, 2007

Gotta Love the Navy

Well, the title of the last post ("Things Work Out in the End") is rather ironic...because things have most certainly NOT worked out! I was supposed to leave today for Dubai to visit Rob; his ship was scheduled to pull in on Monday and stay until Nov. 3. I was packed, had all kinds of goodies for him, and had even worked things out with my job so that I didn't have to fly home from Dubai on the third, then turn around and fly to Morocco two days later...I was going to go straight to Casablanca from Dubai. I was so READY to see Rob...and then I get his email at about 10:45 yesterday morning. They cancelled their port visit in Dubai due to a "security concern." I cannot tell you how crushed I was. I spent the entire day in tears. They tried to send me home from work, but I couldn't justify going home... why would I want to go home and be alone after news like that?

I cancelled the hotel in Dubai, and convinced the airline to give me a credit for my airfare. I cannot believe that this happened. Apparently they had known about this threat for a week, but waited until yesterday to actually cancel the visit. As I expressed to Rob in an email, it seems somewhat counter-intuitive for the MILITARY to run scared from a terrorist threat. If the very people who are supposed to protect us are going to run and hide, then I wonder if I should ever leave my house.

They are possibly going to do an alternate port visit somewhere else, but I don't know if I'll be able to pull everything together that quickly to visit him. We'll see what happens.

As for things on the ship, it's the usual: very busy. They have a new CO who just joined the ship in the last week, and they had the official change of command ceremony today. That's making things quite hectic as you might imagine. Haven't heard too much yet about the new CO; I was looking forward to meeting him this coming week, but I guess that will have to wait.

No comments: